Starting a Conversation with Uplink
Uplink was designed as one-to-one messaging tool and Salesforce companion. While Salesforce is all about managing and monitoring your customer relationships, Uplink is a tool to help you actually build those relationships.
For this reason, we built Uplink to have deep integration with Salesforce. In fact, you can start new Uplink conversations right from your Customer and Lead profiles in Salesforce.
While Uplink Users can start conversations within a Contact or Lead within the company’s Salesforce instance, it is also possible to start Uplink conversations on the go! Instead of having to start conversations from within Salesforce, your Uplink Users can start conversations from anywhere, and with anyone, including people who are not yet Contacts or Leads in Salesforce.
We will walk you through all the ways you can start a new conversation with Uplink.
How to Start a Conversation in Salesforce
- In Salesforce, navigate to the Customer or Lead you want to message.
- Confirm the Mobile field has been filled-in for the Customer or Lead. You need the mobile number for the Uplink conversation to work.
- In Salesforce Lightning, navigate to the Uplink Tab. Next to the assigned number it will say “Start Conversation.” Click “Start Conversation.”
- For Salesforce Classic, once you are on your Contact or Lead you will need to scroll until you reach Uplink. Next to the contact’s assigned Uplink number you will see the “Start Conversation” button. Click it to start the conversation with your contact.
- You will receive a system text message on your mobile device that reads as follows: “You can reach (###) ### - #### using this Uplink Number.” This message opens an SMS thread in which you can now message the Customer or Lead.
- In that same thread, send and receive text messages — as well as MMS — with the Customer or Lead.
How to Start a Conversation Outside of Salesforce
1) "Conversation" or "Convo"
To start a conversation from outside of Salesforce, an Uplink User needs three things:
- Mobile phone
- Uplink Number
- Recipient’s Real Number
In this instance, the mobile phone would be the Uplink User’s mobile device used for exchanging texts with customers and leads. Additionally, that Uplink User needs to have been assigned his or her own Uplink Number for the process to work. Finally, that Uplink User needs to know the Real Number of the person he or she will be texting.
Once the Uplink User receives the Uplink system message that confirms the new Uplink Customer Number, the User can begin texting the intended recipient in the same system-generated thread.
The process below prompts the Uplink platform to assign an Uplink Customer Number so that an Uplink User can start a new conversation.
- Open the native messaging app on the mobile phone.
- Create a new blank message.
- Enter the Uplink User’s Uplink Number as the recipient of the text.
- For the message, use the following formula: “conversation” (or “convo”) + recipient’s Real Number in a standard format (###-###-####).
- Click Send.
- A system message will be received, confirming the new Uplink Customer Number assignment. The new Uplink Customer Number will be the number from which the system message was sent.
- Begin the new Uplink conversation by texting the intended recipient in the same thread as the system message.
2) Uplink Contact Texts Your Uplink Number
Probably the easiest way to start an Uplink conversation is by having a contact message your Uplink User Number. By doing this, the messages are automatically populated within Salesforce.
- You can give your Uplink Number to Customers and Leads either through email signatures, business cards, word-of-mouth, or a variety of other options.
- The Customer or Lead texts your User Uplink Number
- Your Uplink User Number gets a text to your native text messaging app.
- You can now text your Contact through this thread with the Contact's Uplink Number.
- Once you have used this process to assign a new Uplink Customer Number to a recipient, you will need to continue using the Uplink Customer Number to reach that person in the future.
- Anytime you want to continue texting your recipient, or if you want to start a new Uplink conversation with him or her, just create a new message and send it to his or her Uplink Customer Number.
- This process allows you to assign Uplink Numbers before adding individuals to Salesforce. But if they are eventually added to Salesforce, the Uplink module will sync and automatically update with all prior correspondence exchanged via the associated Uplink Customer Numbers. However, if you find that the Uplink module isn’t populating prior Uplink correspondence, confirm that you’ve accurately entered the individuals’ Real Numbers in the mobile fields of their profiles.
Now that you’re a pro at starting new Uplink conversations in Salesforce, you’re ready to start building stronger relationships with clients. Of course, if there’s anything else we can help with, we encourage you to browse our library of guides and tutorials, which you can access via our Uplink Resources.