Starting the Conversation Outside of Salesforce
Uplink was designed as one-to-one messaging tool and Salesforce companion. While Salesforce is all about managing and monitoring your customer relationships, Uplink is a tool to help you actually build those relationships.
With the latest Uplink release, we’ve brought a bit more autonomy to your teams using Uplink by giving your Uplink Users the ability to start conversations from outside of Salesforce. And we’re going to show you how!
Can You Start an Uplink Conversation From Outside of Salesforce?
Yes! Actually, there are two ways to start conversations outside of Salesforce.
While Uplink Users can still start conversations within a Contact or Lead within the company’s Salesforce instance, it is possible to start Uplink conversations on the go! Instead of having to start conversations from within Salesforce, your Uplink Users can start conversations from anywhere, and with anyone, including people who are not yet Contacts or Leads in Salesforce.
1) "Conversation" or "Convo"
To start a conversation from outside of Salesforce, an Uplink User needs three things:
- Mobile phone
- Uplink Number
- Recipient’s Real Number
In this instance, the mobile phone would be the Uplink User’s mobile device used for exchanging texts with customers and leads. Additionally, that Uplink User needs to have been assigned his or her own Uplink Number for the process to work. Finally, that Uplink User needs to know the Real Number of the person he or she will be texting.
Once the Uplink User receives the Uplink system message that confirms the new Uplink Customer Number, the User can begin texting the intended recipient in the same system-generated thread.
The process below prompts the Uplink platform to assign an Uplink Customer Number so that an Uplink User can start a new conversation.
- Open the native messaging app on the mobile phone.
- Create a new blank message.
- Enter the Uplink User’s Uplink Number as the recipient of the text.
- For the message, use the following formula: “conversation” (or “convo”) + recipient’s Real Number in a standard format (###-###-####).
- Click Send.
- A system message will be received, confirming the new Uplink Customer Number assignment. The new Uplink Customer Number will be the number from which the system message was sent.
- Begin the new Uplink conversation by texting the intended recipient in the same thread as the system message.
2) Uplink Contact Texts Your Uplink Number
Probably the easiest way to start an Uplink conversation is by having a contact message your Uplink User Number. By doing this, the messages are automatically populated within Salesforce.
- You can give your Uplink Number to Customers and Leads either through email signatures, business cards, word-of-mouth, or a variety of other options.
- The Customer or Lead texts your User Uplink Number
- Your Uplink User Number gets a text to your native text messaging app.
- You can now text your Contact through this thread with the Contact's Uplink Number.
- Once you have used this process to assign a new Uplink Customer Number to a recipient, you will need to continue using the Uplink Customer Number to reach that person in the future.
- Anytime you want to continue texting your recipient, or if you want to start a new Uplink conversation with him or her, just create a new message and send it to his or her Uplink Customer Number.
- This process allows you to assign Uplink Numbers before adding individuals to Salesforce. But if they are eventually added to Salesforce, the Uplink module will sync and automatically update with all prior correspondence exchanged via the associated Uplink Customer Numbers. However, if you find that the Uplink module isn’t populating prior Uplink correspondence, confirm that you’ve accurately entered the individuals’ Real Numbers in the mobile fields of their profiles.
Now that your Uplink Users can assign Uplink numbers on the go, your team can build stronger relationships with your leads and customers anytime, from anywhere!
If you have any other questions about Uplink, we encourage you to check out some of our other Uplink Resources. Alternatively, if you’d like some one-on-one help, our Uplink Customer Success Team is always available to help you get the most out of Uplink.